Wednesday, August 10, 2005

How do you use color theory to make decisions?

A number of you in your comments say that color theory is crucial to making decisions and avoiding mistakes. Would you be able/willing to give specific examples of your thinking?

(No need to explain color theory--let's assume a basic knowledge of the color wheel, complements, common color schemes, muting, etc., and beginners like me can ask for clarification if we need it.)

It would help me to see how one specifically makes use of theory to work around his color vision problems.

Also, if there are particular books, Web sites or other resources you've found useful on this topic, please recommend!

4 Comments:

At 10:42 PM, Anonymous Paul said...

You've already summed it up: complements, color schemes, etc. Knowing what colors work with what and applying that knowledge as you work. It's much easier when you're working digitally.

It's also important to keep in mind that the vast majority of the people who see your work will have normal color vision, and therefore it's in your best interest to use your color theory knowledge to create a piece that will resonate with them.

 
At 4:43 AM, Blogger Stuart said...

My grandma gave me this book a while ago called Blue and Yellow Don't Make Green and I was bored one day and read it not really knowing what it was all about, and by the end of it I felt so much more confident in at least understanding the theory behind how colour works and how colour mixing works.

 
At 6:28 AM, Anonymous Jesse said...

I'm colorblind (not completey sure which kind yet, but from what I can tell, reds are darker to me than most people), and teaching myself how to paint.

There's a fantastic book called Color and Light, by James Gurney. This book has really improved my understanding of light and color, to the point where I can often logically figure out what a color probably is, based on the light and environment surrounding it. Really helpful book that goes way beyond much of the traditional lessons and tricks for painting complex things.

 
At 10:03 PM, Blogger Naveen Soni said...

Paint for Mac : Good Alternative to MS Paint for Mac is the best paint tool for Mac to draw on infinite canvas & PLAYBACK drawing Paint for Mac. It’s a Revolutionary to MS Paint for Mac

 

Post a Comment

<< Home